Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Genesis: Hierarchy or Net?

Last week at our Genesis OneDay21 gathering, one of my Field Superintendents said to me (after meeting with his “field” of churches): “I told my pastors that if they’re struggling with something, I don’t have to tell you… I can coach them without reporting to the Sup.” My answer was: “Good! That’s why I have the Field Sups I do… I trust you, and I want our pastors to be supported. This isn’t about catching people at less than their best… this is about helping them minister and lead.” 

The next day, I thought about this in terms of Genesis structure. When we first introduced the concept of Field Sups, some were confused. Who did they “report to” and for what? After all, there’s me (the Genesis Superintendent), and the Genesis staff, and there are CCG leaders (Conference Community Groups), and now there are Field Sups. If you are looking for an org chart, a hierarchy, or trying to figure out who you "report up to" this can be confusing.

But... we live in a very fluid world, where things can change in a moment. Stiff hierarchy's can't adapt to a changing world the way flexible structures can. 

With that in mind we, in Genesis, are skipping the linear org charts. Instead, we're thinking about our conference structure in terms of a net of support (which includes accountability). All of Genesis leadership is working towards the same goal: see all pastors equipped, seeing every church fruitful & multiplying. 

So… if talking privately with your Field Sup is what you need? Go for if. If ideas come from your CCG? Use them. If it makes the most sense to reach out to me? I’m here. 

This isn’t about creating a hierarchy. This is about doing all we can to be on the mission of Jesus together. Messy? Yes. But good. 

No comments: