Thursday, April 26, 2018

Twists In the Plot

I’m sitting on a plane to Portland, trying to put into words what’s been going through my head and heart over the past few weeks. In order to do so, I need to go back three years....

Three years ago (in April) I was attending the Wesleyan Holiness Women Clergy Conference. That’s a mouthful, I know! But the conference (meeting every 2 or 3 years), filled with hundreds of women pastors, has been a touchstone in my life. 

Over the past 20 years at WHWC, I’ve met women who have ended up as dear friends, some of whom God used to keep me going when things were hard. At the conference God has spoken to me in tangible ways, and redirected me in significant ones. Three years ago, at the last conference, I was discouraged. Personally I was at a crossroads trying to figure out what was next, wondering if there was any ministry out there where I could fully use my gifts and skills. And the women of my “tribe” (Free Methodists) were discouraged as well. A report had just come out that recognized the significant obstacles and challenges of being a female pastor in our denomination. 

Two weeks ago, I was at WHWC again. I had flown to WHWC directly from participating in our Free Methodist “Global Overseers” meeting — denominational leaders from around the globe. While at WHWC I was on a panel; there are five of us (women) who are now in denominational leadership (3 of us are new in the past 3 years). There were over 100 Free Methodist women at our denominational meeting, 10 of them from my region. People were hopeful. I left WHWC to attend the Minister’s Institute of the Northeast - a gathering of pastors from four regions. I lead one of those regions.

And now? I’m on this flight to Portland where I’ll receive my doctorate degree.

I keep wondering: “How did I get here?” It makes my head spin. Three years ago, I couldn’t have imagined this life in my wildest dreams. Only God could put this one together.

I also know this: God has been with me on the whole journey. The good, the bad, nothing is wasted in His economy. He’s a bringer of peace, a sustainer in tough times, and an opener of doors. Just when you think things are done, He brings a twist in the plot and you’re off on a new adventure.


And I have to say, even though I am completely amazed at this wild twist in the plot... I’m loving the adventure. Thank you, Lord.

2 comments:

Donna Collier said...

Love your "I also know this:" paragraph! If we allow Him to be, God is there whenever, wherever, or however we need Him. What a joy to know and experience this! Our best wishes go with you, wherever He may lead you.

Donna Timm said...

Ike and I send a hearty congratulations as you receive your Doctorate. We are so proud of you and know it's been a long journey. So enjoy the ceremony, have a great time in one of our favorite cities and may God just bless your socks off!