Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Staycations and Sabbath

In this year of COVID, we, like so many others, found our vacation plans shifting. We’d hoped to rent a cabin on a lake in Canada, but the border remains closed. In addition, so many things that make up a vacation (restaurants! shops!) are off the list. But we also knew I needed to truly get a break from work. Our only option? A “staycation.”

I had never wanted to “staycation” before, convinced it would become a week of home projects that “should” get done, rather than a week of rest. But with some careful planning, I’ve been surprised by how restful and fun it’s been. In addition, the things that were most restful have made me think about my current Sabbath (day of rest) practices, which have gotten pretty ragged in the midst of COVID. Here’s a few things I’ve learned that I want to remember:

1. Careful planning made a difference. For a few weeks prior to the staycation, I let those who I work with know I was going to be on vacation. I had many more people call me to talk during those weeks, wanting to catch me before I’d be “gone.” But it wasn’t just planning at work... it was planning at home. I spent the day that I would normally spend packing for a trip, cleaning the house instead (although I did “pack” fun things for the week... I laid aside books, crafts, and knitting projects filled with possibilities). I put away any “should do” items. By the time vacation was ready to start I wanted my house to feel like a home I rented... and in many ways, it did. Then...

2. I intentionally looked at my home as if it was someone else’s and I was renting it for the week. This allowed me to look at something that needed to be done and internally think: this is not my problem! (And I was surprised how well that little trick worked). But this way of thinking had an unexpected benefit: I saw and appreciated things in my home that usually escape my attention. The home we “rented” had an amazing library filled with my favorite books! It had a beautiful garden where I picked roses. It had lots of quiet spots with good light to enjoy a cup of coffee, the view of the garden, a time of prayer, or a good book. The biggest surprise? My office became my “go to” quiet place. With all my work cleared out of the way, it was a wonderful quiet spot to read surrounded by books, with journal and pen supplies in easy reach.

3. I disconnected from most tech. I turned on auto reply for email (and really didn’t check), put a voicemail and text response on that let people know I was “away.” I didn’t check social media (once I caught myself automatically there, but that was short lived). I did use my iPad, as I had books on there that I wanted to read. (I have wondered if I should go “screenless” next time). I think the week helped de-program me from automatically checking social media multiple times a day.

4. I used what I had.  Just before vacation, I read an article on Sabbath which talked about Sabbath being a time to be grateful for what you have, rather than a day to shop. In these days of COVID, where one day runs into the next, and shopping is as easy as picking up the phone, I had lost that principle. But when you go on vacation to a lake in a remote area, you learn to use what you have. I tried to carry that principle this week. Again, it helped.

In addition to remembering these principles for a future staycation, I want to re-remember them for my weekly days of rest. All apply... and I think all will help me reincorporate a rhythm of rest into my week during this truly unique season.

I hope you get time to truly rest this week and this summer!

No comments: