Thursday, July 11, 2019

In the waiting...

Almost a year ago, at the end of July, I received two emails on the same day, both asking me if I would "allow my name to stand" for bishop. That's a way of asking if a person can put your name into the process, which ends up with a ballot at our General Conference. As I prayed about it, what became clear was that I was to prayerfully submit to and trust the process. Frankly, I was dreading this process in many ways. I also thought, at each step of the way, that I'd be crossed off the list as it got smaller. But I never was.

Soon we will be voting. My name is now one of six on the ballot. We will elect three. For those who have been following the nomination process, you know it hasn't been an easy one. The church has been anxious, with all three of our bishops retiring at the same time. The process itself has been called into question. On the journey, we have lost one nominee off the ballot, and then gained two more.

But the reason I write today, the reason I write before any of us know who is elected, is I want to let you know how good God has been in the midst of all of this.

In the midst of this crazy journey, those of us who are on the ballot together have become friends. (Yes, you read that right.) We've prayed together, shared together, laughed together, cried together. One of the others shared the song "New Wine" with us, and it has become one of our themes:
"In the crushing, in the pressing, you are making new wine. 
In the soil I now surrender, you are breaking new ground." 
In an unexpected grace, we have been "pressed" together.

We all realize that soon the relationships will change in significant ways.  Half of the group will become the "bosses" of the other half. But for me, what has been gained on this journey has been important and beautiful. I started this journey dreading it... but Jesus showed up in ways big and small, and made this difficult, exhausting journey one where He has worked in my soul in unexpected, profound ways that will remain no matter what the election results are.

One of those ways relates to that first whisper I heard from Him almost a year ago: "Submit to and trust the process." Over the past year, there have been many moments when I was tempted to not submit or trust. But in the end, trust is one of those places where the Lord has deepened me on this journey.  For on this journey I have learned to trust the other candidates (so that I can say I will be pleased to have any of them as my bishop, or to work with any of them).  And on this journey I have learned to trust that our people are praying. A few days ago I received a facebook message from one of our superintendents in central Africa. He is in the midst of challenges that I cannot even wrap my head around... but he wanted to let me know that he and his people were praying for me and for us. And as our people pray, I have come to a settled heart in trusting the process (bumpy though it has been). In answering the prayers of His people, I believe that the Lord Jesus has been superintending each aspect of this process, for the church's ultimate good. And ultimately, most importantly, I have learned a deeper trust in the Lord Jesus, who brought us - pressed us - together, and who will continue to lead His Church.

The song that I mentioned above, goes on...

So make me Your vessel
Make me an offering
Make me whatever You want me to be
I came here with nothing
But all You have given me
Jesus, bring new wine out of me

The Lord knows what challenges the next four years holds for the church, and He knows who is best wired to face those challenges. As people pray, I trust that they will be the three elected, and that His anointing will come powerfully on them. Pray for those elected! And pray for the three not elected, that a fresh anointing will come to them for their current and future ministry.

'Cause where there is new wine
There is new power
There is new freedom
And the kingdom is here
I lay down my old flames
To carry Your new fire today

Pray that the Holy Spirit will be powerfully speaking and moving among us, and that we will be empowered and sent from this place into the world to be the change agents that are so desperately needed. Pray that in this "pressing" moment, there will be new power from above.

And remember.... the Lord is good and gracious and among us and for us.

No comments: