Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Living the Story in a new way

I've been working on my doctorate. Crazy, I know. I started long before this adventure of moving to western NY to become the superintendent for the Genesis Conference. Multiple times I've thought: "I need to give this up." Multiple times God - and others - have said "keep going."

There's an odd twist in the story. Almost ten years ago I began to preach most often using first-person storytelling. A few years ago I changed the name of this blog to "Living the Story." Little did I know...

When I started the doctorate, the focus of my dissertation was to do leadership training with Africans. In studying oral cultures (culture where the foundation of communication is speaking, not writing), I discovered something interesting... oral cultures look an awful lot like our new digital culture. And what works in training people from oral cultures is working with digital natives. And at the top of the list of what is working is...

Storytelling.

So... my blog "Living the Story" takes a new turn, to purposefully tell stories of today interwoven with stories of the Bible. I've already done this some in the past. Now I begin in earnest.

Pull up a chair, get a cup of coffee, and listen to a story....


No comments: